Monday, November 19, 2012

West Texas!


 Hello from Marathon Texas!
Life has been filled with grand memories. When I headed out of Las Cruces I was hoping to make it to Alamogordo but I got side tracked by White Sands National Monument, which is 20 miles outside of town. I stayed for the sunset stroll, which was great. The ranger give the story of the White Sands and told about the ecology. The White Sands is very dynamic environment that is always changing, so much that they don't have a paved road because would be covered by dunes! For the same reason they don't have a campground but they have backcountry camping. I hauled my bike back to a site and stayed there. What a cool experience to sleep in the dunes. I couldn't set my tarp because there wasn't trees. It was memorable  sunset and sunrise with clouds. The next day I headed up the big hill. The elevation of Alamogordo is 4,300 feet and Cloudcroft is 8,600. The climb is about 17 miles with a grade of 6%. The climb wasn't bad just put it in Nanny gear and go bit by bit. It took me about three hours with a stop at High Rolls. I had decided to stay at a hotel because a cold front was coming. When I got out of the shower the cold front had started and it was raining! So of the only rain I have seen since August. Before dinner I walked around, it is small and everyone knows each other, just my type of place. For dinner, I ended up a cafe that was open for the first time for dinner. Everyone who works there was working, everyone had huge smiles and was excited to be working. Two people were playing music and songs that I love! It was a great evening for many reasons- being around happy people and being at the highest point.  The next day I headed to a Warmshowers host about 65 miles away. The cold front was still passing so it was windy. I didn't go as fast as I typically would go because the winds were 30-40 mph! I didn't want to get blown over. I lost about 4,500 feet! The family I stayed with were great, they host tons of people, even two guys who long boarded across the country! They are Apache people. Diana shared Yucca fruit and Avgia  plant with me. I showed her how to use a whisper light stove. I rode to Carlsbad, NM which was flat and not very scenic. A guy gave me $20 for dinner. I ended up at a BBQ place and sat next to a guy who is from Louisiana, have to love oil towns. The next day I rode to Carlsbad Caverns, what a cool place! I went on the "adventure tour." The tour was nice, we had helmets and headlamps, no lights or paved paths. I could have explored the caverns way more than an afternoon. I camped that night just outside of the park and met two guys. They work for the Park Service doing to plant inventory. They talked about getting cactus spines in their shoes, this is my type of people. The next day I wanted to make it to Van Horn. I didn't realize that I would gain 2,500 feet so I stopped at Guadalupe National Park.  I took a nap and rested that afternoon. The next day I made it to Van Horn, I am glad I didn't go the whole way in one day. I had a long mild uphill and head winds for 20 miles. I stayed at the KOA in Van Horn when I went out to dinner I saw hotel rooms for $30. Oh well. I talked with a guy who had rode across the country a few times and another couple who had seen three people riding bike towards Van Horn. The next day I headed out for  McDonald Observatory. I met up with the three I was told about. They are making a film about cycling safety. They had very loaded bikes and heading to the observatory as well. I was riding faster than them. As I was riding misquotes came out! Really?! Misquotes in November!  It is a reminder that I am heading more southward.  I got to the observatory jut before dark. We stayed with a family who lives and works at the observatory. They are a wonderful family. The daughter made homemade pasta for us! I liked the conversation, how long has your daughter been an artist? Well which art are you talking about? They all played instruments and one of the daughters is a painter. No tv at this house but tons of books and animals. The next morning we got a tour of the observatory, there are tons of telescopes. There was a fire there two years ago that came within a mile! I went there about 18 years ago on a family vacation. This trip I hope remember more.  The local big town of Alpine (roughly 5,000 people) was having their big yearly festival so I only traveled 40 miles. The film crew also stayed in Alpine so we all stayed together. The Art Walk as the locals call it was fabulous, street food, free drinks, music, and great art. The Austin Bike Zoo was there, they build bikes that are shaped like beautiful creatures such as butterflies, bats, snakes, and much more. It is experiences such as this that make this trip a journey. At the end of the day it isn't about how many miles I rode but about the connections. Connections with people. Connections with the land. Connections with the environment. I am surprised by the amount of culture I am finding. Most people think West Texas and Eastern New Mexico as dry places both physically and culturally. There is tons of life here you may have to detour 150 miles to find but it is here. The land here is filled with mountains and the terrain is changes. The next day the film crew headed north to be able to make Austin for Thanksgiving.   Then I headed to Marathon only 30 miles but I was told by a few people to check out this cool hostel.  First, Marathon is pronounced MaraTHIN not like the race that is 26.2 miles. Second this place is rad. I took a rest day and now I am going to take another detour to check out Big Bend. At this rate of detours I may not see the Atlantic and that is fine. I am living a grand adventure which is what I set out to do. A common question I am getting asked, what am I doing for Thanksgiving? I will be hiking around Big Bend, I am excited. Sorry for such a long post, thanks for reading.
As always cheers from Nanland =) have a great thanksgiving!













5 comments:

  1. It was awesome meeting you! Good luck on your travels!

    Big Bend is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Nan! Its been cool following your travels...you are currently in the midst of my old stomping grounds...I did a scouting trip for NOLS in Big Bend a few years back looking for possible hiking routes and ISGT locations for NOLS Southwest...its gorgeous there! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving Nan. Glad to hear you are having so much fun! Looking forward to the next installation.

    Ginny and Don

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Nan,

    As it is Thanksgiving (though not only for that reason) thank you for sharing your recent adventures and reflections! White Sands has always called to me...this past summer I picked up a hitchhiker in Glacier NP who lives in a cave in the Gila National Forest of southwestern New Mexico. He described other parts of that state I have yet to - and totally must see. Enticing... Best wishes for a rich holiday-wander in Big Bend, Nan!

    Prost from n.e. washington (had to visit family for holiday break).

    Peace,

    Ehren

    ReplyDelete
  5. NanLand sounds like fun! Great to hear your joy for the journey and your passion for the connections rather than the accomplishment! I pray you continue to come alive along the journey. Thanks for getting me excited I ready to plan our next Adventure Crew Trip.

    Blessings,

    Loren Carriere
    Hope for Opelousas

    P.S. Let us know if we can host you if you pass through St. Landry Parish

    ReplyDelete