Sunday, May 22, 2016

A layperson review of Skookum

The Fatback Skookum

I am in completely and utterly in love with my Skookum fat bike.  If you would have told me five months ago that I would feel this way towards a fat bike I would have laughed.   My old cross-country bike was eight years old, elderly in the bike world. Then it was stolen.  I was heartbroken over losing my first love. Living in skiing heaven, I was one of those people that would say fat bikes aren’t bikes or winter is for skiing. Then with thanks to homeowners insurance, no adventure bike, and a recommendation from a friend I purchased a Skookum. I wanted a bike that could play a bit in the snow and needed to bikepack. I liked the idea of having a Bluto fork, not vital for snow but nice for bikepacking. My thoughts about tire width, were I think those belong on a mack truck.  As the Skookum came with Jumbo Jims, a hefty 4.8 inches with an aggressive lug pattern. When I got the bike, I wasn’t sure about this whole fat biking thing.  I thought it be a way to get outside when I couldn’t ski. Then a friend took me out for single track and my heart started to pitter patter. As winter went on I started to ride more, the more I would ride the more I would fall in love. By March a whole 6 weeks into my fat bike relationship I was biking more than skiing. I would meet a great group of folks who also have a few lose screws.

                Then in April I was invited to ride the Kokopelli trail. When I purchased the bike I thought about getting a second wheel set for summer/ adventure of 27.5+. When I committed to the ride I was traveling and would have 3 days to get my bike ready. Not enough time to sort out what I wanted in terms of tire and gearing. Instead of making quick and costly decisions I went for what I had. Going into this trip I was worried that Jumbo Jims were a bit too big and the gearing would be too hard for a loaded bike going up steep grades. Now, 150 miles later I am more in love. Once I figured out how to get the most clearance out of my seat post bag I was ready. Riding a small frame creates a huge space challenge.  Having less than an inch of clearance but with a bit of extra p-cord on the bag I was good to go. I was worried about the bike handling with weight. Reality, I rode up and down things I didn’t was possible. I will admit did notice weight when I was hike a biking. I was nervous that only having one 30 tooth chain ring would not be a great idea for bikepacking. Reality, 1x11 was great, the gearing was just right. For the long road climbs I added extra air and it wasn’t too bad. Once I got the massive wheels going I felt unstoppable. Going downhill was incredible! I didn’t think riding a loaded bike could be so much fun. The Jumbo Jims are so dang stable. I was able to carry speed well, which adds to the fun-o-meter. I have the 4 season G1 build. I switched to a trigger shifter, went to tubeless, and switched the saddle to a woman’s (that is a rant for another day). If I were to go on a ride with more gravel I think a smaller tire would be good choice. Overall, this bike and build is great for trails such as Kokopelli and single track snow.


No comments:

Post a Comment