Sunday, May 22, 2016

The joys of fat tires

I was so very wrong about fat bikes. A fat bike is a bike with tires over 3 inches wide. In November my beloved Sunshine was stolen out of the back of my truck. I had just bought a new trail bike. Sunshine was going to be adventure bike, gravel and bikepacking. My homeowners insurance would cover replacement cost of my bike. I first thought about buying a plus (3 inch tires) size bike that I could still ride some snow and mostly adventure. Then the idea came, buy a fat bike and then second wheel set. I figured that I didn’t have much to lose. In January I test rode a fat bike before buying. Oh man, it kicked my butt. I liked it enough to open Pandora’s box. I ordered a Fat Back Skookum. I named the bike Sven, after the reindeer in Frozen.   From insurance I was able to order a Cadillac, carbon and Bluto fork.

I knew that tire PSI was key for success. My first few rides were not great. The conditions were a bit warm so traction was limited. Then a friend and I rode the single track in Victor, oh man, I was now hooked. Finally, I was able to align conditions and tire PSI. Fitz (local bike shop) was hosting group rides in the evening. I found my bike light and showed up. I am fairly sure I was a complete junk show. Figuring out layering for riding when it 10 out. Trying to keep up the group and not falling. One of the joys of riding on snow is getting flung off and wallowing in soft snow with no warning. I fell a few times. On the way back my light died. Thankfully someone had a backup! My world was just what I could see, everything else disappeared. The next morning, I was back in my happy place.

Next, I finally figured out the trails at Targhee and fell more in love. A friend told me about the Togwotee Pass Winter Classic. A 25 or 35 mile race on snowmobile trails. I felt like I was back in college racing. I have bought winter boots just for this race. I met a few other racers at breakfast. I had figured out how to carry water without it freezing for a 4 hour ride. Then about a half mile in my chain dropped into the spokes. I tried to pull then yank it out, no luck. Someone stopped to help me hold the bike, still no luck. I was forced to push my bike back to the lodge. After a bit I ran into a local who could help me. It took him 45 minutes to get the chain out, that fix was well above my pay grade. By the time my bike was ready the first round of folks were coming in. I went for a little out and back ride. Sad that I wasn’t able to ride but glad it happened at a half mile and not mile 15.

By the end of March, I was completely in love with Sven. Riding brought me joy that I hadn’t felt. I had a sense of adventure that was new. Skiing I love but biking brought me excitement and joy that skiing hasn’t. Fat biking kept me going this winter. I was going through some rough times with my family and job. Thank you to my friends who encouraged me with fat biking, I cannot tell you how much I owe you.  One of the best parts is that Sven isn’t just limited to snow.
Night riding, love the frost.

Targhee single track

pushing up to Mud Lake and making friends who are just as nuts as me. 


Bitch Creek, from my house =)

No comments:

Post a Comment