Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Lessons in Uncertainty

60 K Fat Pursuit 2017 Lessons in Uncertainty.

As humans we like things to be predictable and known. I am an uber planner, I like to picture something before doing it, I write down my grocery list, I plan things out months in advance. Uncertainty not my strong point. For anyone who has participated in any of Jay’s events gets a healthy dose of uncertainty. In September he had to reroute the course because too much snow on the course. Fat biking is so dependent on conditions, uncertainty. The winning times for the 60k range from 3 hours to 6.5 hours. The week leading up to the Pursuit started off optimistic for firm conditions. As the week progressed uncertainty started to creep in. In December the course had not been groomed yet, lack of snow. Jay and the Fityz crew groomed with snowmobiles. I packed food and gear for a long day. I was excited for the challenge of another epic day. Then the two-week high-pressure system broke and dropped 4-5 inches of snow the night before. Jay made an unexcepted call to reroute the course. The standard course is a lollipop, the new course would be two out and backs on the stick. A huge curve ball. I had to quickly change gears from a backcounty Pursuit to lap race.
The race starts. Somehow, I was towards the front of pack and was behind a solid rider who left a predictable track. In soft race conditions it is common for spontaneous and instant combustion aka just riding along and bam you are down. How the person leaves the track should be the determine if the person is going to heaven or hell. As the course turned on the road from the powerline section I hoped that the conditions would improve but I wasn’t sure. More uncertainty. The road conditions were only slightly improved. To stay balanced one must focus on the track. In this Pursuit there was no multitasking, drinking water and eating while riding was challenge. I felt balanced but could not push my pace. My mind did not wonder much but I was very much in Nanland. I enjoyed the challenge of staying balanced and keeping focus. When I would cross with other riders there was uncertainty on the etiquette on who had the right away. Most people were very respectable but there were a few that there was not a good option for either. This led to a number of instant combustion moments. As the day went on I was able to keep the same pace. I never felt that I was pushing body, asking for something that it did not have give. For me, it felt more like a ride rather than a race.

The day had a lot of uncertainty, but that did not stop me from having a blast. What has become the highlight was hearing people say “Nan, thanks for your smile and encouragement, it helped to keep me going.” I ask myself, why did I have some much in light of the challenge of uncertainty. My goals were still being met, I wanted to challenge myself, I wanted this race to help train me for the 200k coming up, I wanted to finish, and I wanted to be apart of community. Knowing that Jay’s events come with uncertainty I did not place expectations on the outcome. Now the challenge comes applying the lessons to life.

Other random comparisons from 2016 vs 2017.
-2016 raised my handle bar mid race. 2017 started the race with a taller height and was thankful. My upper body was not sore!
-Wider is better! I loved having 100 mil rims! Thanks Fitzy!
-2016 it was -20 it is easier to ride at cold temps. 2017 it was 25, I had to think about managing sweat.
-2016 I was just riding. 2017 I have started doing fitness classes to build strength and training, it makes a huge difference.

Photos were taken by the lovely Jamye Chrisman 




No comments:

Post a Comment