Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Saturday Night

Saturday night plans.
As you may already know, I have a few screws lose and I have an absurd love towards fat bikes. I am training for my first ultra-bike race, Jay P’s Fat Pursuit 200k in January. When I think about the race about half the time I am terrified and the other half excited. The idea of doing a winter overnighter came up to help prep for the race. I loved the idea! Mike talked with his friend Jason and his main partner in crime to join. This was my first winter overnighter from a bike. I have camped in the winter environment but it has been a while. I was a nervous about this ride.  The few days leading up to the ride the weather is a mix of rain and snow. Snow is much easier to deal with than rain, so there were lots of snow dances.

It just happened the day that worked best was Global Fat Bike Day! In the morning we joined the Fitzgerald’s crew for a huge group ride. It was awesome to ride with so many excited people. We headed home to get ready. The garage turned into a gear explosion of bike bags and camping gear. Camping gear is still mostly packed away so lots of questions, “Do you know where my ___ is?” We packed our rigs up and headed out at 7pm.  

Our route was from the house about 50 miles on the Jackpine Loop. In summer about ten miles of pavement and forty of gravel. The loop itself about 25 miles in winter is snowmobile heaven. Grooming of snowmobile trails has not started, we are in the tricky place between too much snow for cars and not enough for grooming. We were not sure what to expect for conditions, but that is standard for Jay’s races which is why we are doing the overnight.

The first fifteen miles were super icy. Earlier in the day, the sun came out and lightly melted the top layer. We joked that we forgot studs. It was very cautious and tense riding, however, it was lovely night. We got to the loop and started gaining elevation. At one point I see Mike go down, he was just riding along, and bam down. Thankfully he was fine. We had a few miles of snow with tire tracks. Then the snowmobile tracks started. The snow was getting deeper and softer. The challenge increased as our elevation increased. Not nearly as challenging as the 2016 60k Fat Pursuit. We only walked about 100 feet. It was great training. We reached the top and snowmobile tracks turned and we had a set of tire tracks! We started down. At one point the boys stop and I kept going. I came up on a moose! I waited for the boys. At about 11pm we found a place to call home for the night. 
Once at camp, I went into go mode. I put on my puffy jacket and pants, some might have these as luxury items but for me they are key to stay warm. I strongly believe in the mantra: be warm stay warm. Warming up in the winter takes so much so I don’t go there. I boiled water for dinner and tea. Mike and I shared dinner and headed to bed. I slept ok. I had to pee at 4am and thought about getting ready then but realized the boys were probably not ready to wake. I woke back up just before 7am. I boiled water for oats and coffee. I realized that we were winter glamping. The temperatures were warm just about freezing. I could pack and do most things with no gloves!

Jason's camp

Rover is camping!

Mr Smiles


We were back on our bikes by 8am. We were able to follow the same tracks! The snow was great, there were a few icy places.  On the way down my heart was overflowing with joy and excitement. Feeling that the race is within my ability. The race will still be hard but I know that I have the tools to be successful.  The Ashton-Tetonia Rail Trail is at the base of the loop. We took a detour to catch out Bitch Creek. It is one of my favorite places, there is a huge trestle bridge. We opted to take the Rail Trail back to Tetonia, we were not excited about the icy roads. We decided to support the local cafĂ©, Badger Creek. I have had a number of post bike meals there. We did get a few strange looks walking in. We filled up on coffee and food.
Riding the Rail-Trail

Smiles for miles

Bitch Creek

Loving life

no smiles... NOT!

Someone is having a wheelie good time.

Rover in his element 

The boys BnB, it has a front porch! 


This overnighter was the prefect Saturday night. A bit of challenge and adventure with great friends. It is not everyday that I find someone who wants to spend Saturday night riding bikes and camping in the snow, I am so grateful for Mike and our lose screws.

No comments:

Post a Comment